[na-user] W9XT card and 10.35

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] W9XT card and 10.35
From: David A. Pruett" <k8cc@ix.netcom.com (David A. Pruett)
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 00:50:02 -0500
I will bet money Tad's LPT port is set wrong.  This is the usual problem
when the "Voicekeyer Not Ready" message appears, or else a port conflict
where two LPTs are set on the same address in which case you can't be sure
WHAT is happening!

One more time - LPT 101.

MS-DOS computers go searching for LPT and COM ports when they boot up.
They search the port addresses in a particular order, for LPTs it goes like
this:

Address Comment
3BC hex LPT port on monochrome video cards
378 hex
278 hex

If a 3BC port is there, its LPT1; if 378 is there, its LPT2; if 278 is
there, its LPT3.

However, here's where it gets wierd...

In a computer without a 3BC card, then 378 is LPT1.  Aha!  It was LPT2 in
the example above.  But where is 278?  If present its LPT2, not LPT3.

The key is to remember that THE PC CHECKS FOR PORTS IN THE SEQUENCE SHOWN
ABOVE.  If you know what addresses you're using, then its easy (and
certain) to predict which port will be what.

A W9XT contest card will be address 378 if its set to be LPT1 and 278 if
its set to be LPT2.  This is fine as long as there is no 3BC card in the
computer.  I've never used Gary's DVRC program, but if it uses hard-coded
addresses it might add to the confusion.

So Tad, check what ports are in the computer and you should be able to
figure it out.  Microsoft Diagnostic Program (MSD.EXE) is pretty lame for
most tasks, but it does a pretty good job of identifying LPT ports.
Another alternative is to watch the BIOS information that most computer
show on the screen when they boot.  There is usually a line showing the
BIOS addresses that have been identified.  You should be able to account
for every LPT port (including a Contest Card) in your computer - if not,
you'll likely never get it to work correctly.

IF YOU HAVE READ THIS FAR, HERE IS A TIP:

My main logging computer has three LPT ports in it.  One is on the
multi-I/O card, its set for 378.  The W9XT card is set for LPT2, which is
278.  I also have a LPT-only card set for 3BC.  Referring to the search
sequence shown above, the LPT-only card (3BC) is LPT1 which is connected to
my printer so all the DOS software prints fine.  The multi-I/O card (378)
is LPT2, which goes to my two-radio box.  The W9XT card (278) is LPT3
(note, NOT LPT2!).  Everything works wonderfully.

I'm sorry this is probably clear as mud, but done blame me, I did not
design it!

73,

Dave Pruett, K8CC
DATOM Engineering