[na-user] Doc update confusion

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] Doc update confusion
From: David A. Pruett" <k8cc@ix.netcom.com (David A. Pruett)
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 1999 10:37:50 -0400
To clarify the NA documentation situation:

The last NA manual was absolutely 100% current in May of 1998.  This
corresponds to NA version 10.28.

The UPDATExx.DOC files update a particular version of NA manual.
UPDATE00.DOC updated the May 1996 manual (version 10.00), UPDATE17.DOC
updates the May 1997 manual (version 10.17), and UPDATE28.DOC updates the
May 1998 manual.  UPDATExx.DOC is only changed when there are documentaton
changes required; i.e., if a new version has only bug fixes, UPDATExx.DOC
does not change.

Rich's observation about the RTTY documentation in UPDATE28.DOC is correct.
 We put it in there, but then decided to quickly get it into the May 1998
printed manual and forgot to remove it from UPDATE28.DOC.  I recently
notice this, and moved it from UPDATE28.DOC to UPDATE17.DOC, figuring
nobody would notice.

All NA changes are recorded in the NA.REV file, which is updated with every
new NA version.

With regards to a "new" NA manual, the problem is this.  The manual is done
in WordPerfect for Windows, version 6.1.  This is because the manual dates
back to a time before the near-universal acceptance of MS-Word.  We've
tried to convert the WP file to Word format and the result is utter garbage
- nearly useless.  The problem centers around the elaborate formatting
tricks we had to undertake to get the page appearance.

We are in the process of getting the WP version up to date so Radio
Bookstore can print a new version of the manual.  However, this is a back
burner project for the next month or more as NA program fixes, and getting
K8CC QRV for the contest season takes precedence.

73

Dave Pruett, K8CC