[na-user] Re-correcting Zones

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] Re-correcting Zones
From: David A. Pruett" <k8cc@ix.netcom.com (David A. Pruett)
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 22:27:25 -0400
N4ZJ's observation that NA does not correct the zone when you change a
callsign is accurate.  In retrospect, I believe this is the correct way for
it to operate.

The zone "default" is meant to be a guess as to what the received zone
actually is.  In the vast majority of the cases, it will be correct.
However, there are more than a few countries where there are more than one
possible zone.  The former Soviet Union is the best example, but the USA,
Argentina and Austrailia present the same problem.  We try to provide the
best possible "guess", but its up to the operator to confirm what is
actually received.

How is NA to know if you type over the callsign that you don't want to keep
the default as is?  Suppose you enter a call, get the default, then tab
back and change the call?  At this point, it is logical for the program to
assume that the exchange is correct (you DID tab through it) so why should
it change it?

I can see Tom's argument, but "fixing" it will require come convoluted
logic while introduce the problem described above.  If CT does this, I
think it's dangerous.  I've simply programmed myself to use the F11 or
Ctrl-K to wipe everything and start over.

Dave/K8CC