[na-user] Keyboards

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] Keyboards
From: dap14@daimlerchrysler.com (dap14@daimlerchrysler.com)
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 10:52:22 -0400

Tom Ogburn's note about the Acer wireless keyboard raises a number of valid
issues surrounding keyboard selection for contest logging.

I've personnally found that the size and shape of the keyboard has a major
impact on the ergonomics of the station layout.  SO2R operating, in
particular, makes this even more critical.  For a number of years, I was on
a quest for a space-conservative keyboard for contest logging, and settled
on some IBM keyboards that were, in essence, 101-key keyboards without
keypads.  However, these had problems in that certain computers would treat
the keyboard as a 84-key model, then F11 and F12 would not work.

Ultimately, a bigger problem came to light.  I use a 101-key keyboard on my
PC at work, and my main PC at home, so switching to a different layout for
logging was counter-intuitive.  I suspected that the guest ops that come
for the multi efforts at my station would be in the same situation, so I've
settled on standard 101-key keyboards at K8CC.

Mini-keyboards are cool, but standardization has its advantages too.  Its
bad enough having to switch back and forth between my laptop!

73,

Dave/K8CC