[na-user] FQP mobile operation

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] FQP mobile operation
From: Ron Wetjen <wd4ahz@gte.net> (Ron Wetjen)
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 03:03:48 +0000
Someone wrote:

> I believe this has come up before,  but my memory is not
> that swift.  My question has to do with logging rovers.  First,
> let me describe how I log them.
> I'll use the Michigan QSO Party as an example.  Let's say I log
> K8CC the first time.  Not knowing for sure that he is roving,  I
> simply log him as K8CC, and log MACK as the county.
> Later, I run into him again, and notice he's giving EMME as the
> county.  I need EMME, so I type K8CC/EMME in the call field,
> and type EMME as the county.  But when I hit enter,  NA reports that
> I need to enter a valid call.  I change the call to K8CC/EMM,  and
> NA accepts it.  No Problem.
> Next I run into K8XXX in MONR.  Somehow forgetting that NA
> doesn't seem to accept the <callsign/xxxx> scheme, I log him as
> K8XXX/MONR.  I hit enter, and NA takes it!  Hmmm.
> Why does NA take the 4 letter extension with some calls,  and
> with others it only likes 3 letters after the "/"?  I noticed during
> the contest that with rovers with 1 by 3 calls,  NA  accepted the 4
> letter abbreviations after the "/",  while 1 by 2 calls only took 3
> letters. This wasn't any big deal until I worked K8CC in OSCE.  There
> were 2 counties that could be abbreviated OSC,  so I ended up typing
> something cryptic like K8CC/OSC1, and it accepted that,  I assume
> because it was a number, not a letter?  Of course in the qth field,
> it showed OSCE for the county.

For FQP, we chose 3 letter county abbreviations and also encourage
mobiles to sign
/cty.  This easily solves all of the issues addressed above.  We did
have to slighly modify a few of the abbreviations to reduce confusion
and similarities between them, but so far, it has seemed to work out.

By the way, thanks to all those who joined us last weekend ... we hope
everyone enjoyed it!  Next up ... W1AW/4 in IARU!

73, Ron

--
One of the W1AW/4 Crew - IARU/WRTC-2000  July 8-9, 2000

Web Design - http://www.rwwebcreations.com
WD4AHZ Homepage - http://www.qsl.net/wd4ahz
Sarasota Emergency Radio Club - http://www.qsl.net/serc
Florida Contest Group - http://www.qsl.net/fcg