[na-user] NA vs CT using OMNI 6+

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] NA vs CT using OMNI 6+
From: JBaumgarte@aol.com (JBaumgarte@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 13:46:57 EDT
Dave and others,

I have successfully used NA with my two Omni 6's (both with plus features).
I am using a switch box patterned after the one in the NA book and it works
great.  The interesting part of doing this with Omni 6's is that the band
information is available at the RS 232 port on the transceivers.  I tried to
use this to directly switch Dunestar Band pass filters, but the +5 volts on
the Omni's was not enough to throw the 12 volt relays in the Dunestars, so
bought a couple of the 8 channel source drivers (UDN2985A) that Ten tec uses
in the Omni and with a little help from the always helpful Ron, at Dunestar
came up with a couple of devices that auto-switch the Band Pass filters
without using any com or parallel ports.  Therefore, it is possible to run a
full SO2R with full band pass filtering using just 2 com ports (one to
control each radio), and one parallel port for the switch box and keying.
They shouldn't conflict, although I have a W9XT card in my computer and use
that for keying as well.  Incidentally, the remote Ten tec tuning knob (301)
can be tied with the computer control wires and the band information wires
for the band pass filters with no conflicts or problems.  I have the Ten Tec
auto tuner which also uses some of these, so my port at the back of the main
radio is pretty busy!  I just completed all of this, so next season will be
my first real attempt (tried a couple of state QSO parties this winter just
to see that it all really worked--it did)

John, N0IJ

WWW:                      http://datom.contesting.com/