[na-user] Re: K5K

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] Re: K5K
From: k8cc <k8cc@mediaone.net> (k8cc)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 22:05:49 -0400
Jim and Ken,

Since getting Ken's original note, I've been wracking my brain trying to
figure out how to fix this.

The way NA IDs a country is this:

1. If the callsign has a portable its evaluated to determine which portion
of the string to use for the country ID.

2. The first letter of the string to be ID'd is evaluated, so for example,
K5KA will only be checked against the "K" prefixes.

3. The "K" prefixes from the .CTY file, which are stored in descending
order of length are searched for the first one which appears in the string
to be ID'd.  Again, in checking K5KA, with Jim's corrected file "K5KA" will
be encountered before "K5K" so it should be scored correctly.

I don't know how else to do it.  These calls (K4M/Midway and K5K/Kingman)
are strictly speaking not legit calls for their islands.  True, the FCC
permits their use by issuing them, but so what?  Next year K5K could be a
commemorating a rodeo in Oklahoma!

I just wish the FCC would issue calls like KH4M or KH5K and be done with it!

Dave

WWW:                      http://datom.contesting.com/