[na-user] SO2R & Big Plus Key

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] SO2R & Big Plus Key
From: R.S.Hradilek" <ids@nol.net (R.S.Hradilek)
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 00:47:41 -0600
We all know that the Plus Key finishes off a contact when we are
running. It is the equivalent of pressing RETURN (to post the
contact to the log) followed by F3 (the QRZ message).

SO2R contacts are implicitly Search and Pounce. There is no TU
QRZ on the other station's run frequency and thus, the big plus key
is not useful. Furthermore, when you are in 2nd radio mode
pressing it is a mistake, because it posts the QSO and QRZ's. I
pressed it accidentally during several 2nd radio contacts, since I
usually use the INS key to send the station's call and SS
exchange on the 2nd radio. (This mistake switches you back to the
main radio, leaving the guy on your 2nd radio waiting for his
exchange. You can up arrow back to the contact and try to send it,
but it will go out on the wrong radio. You have to flip radios and
send the exchange on your paddle. It's possible that I am the only
one who has been in this loop.)

I think there is a better use for the Big Plus when the software is in
2nd radio mode. In this mode, the function keys and paddle are
normally all dedicated to the 2nd radio contact. You cannot send
anything on your run frequency without messing up the 2nd radio
contact.

There are times when stations call you after you have jumped to
the 2nd radio. If you have the feature enabled which restarts the CQ
on your run freq every time you finish sending on the 2nd radio, it is
very likely somebody will answer your CQ before you are finished
with the long SS exchange. You CQ in their face uncontrollably.
Been there?

The answer is in the Big Plus key. In 2nd radio contact mode, it
could send a didahdididit or QRX on the run frequency; letting
callers know you are aware of them, but QRV. It should also
suspend the repeat CQ'ing (if enabled) until the 2nd radio contact is
completed or aborted.

I think this functionality would smooth out a common wrinkle in
SO2R operation, though I also believe that the 2-radio integration in
NA is the best of all the contest software programs.

Roy -- AD5Q

WWW:                      http://datom.contesting.com/