[na-user] Bandmap

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [na-user] Bandmap
From: Mike Gilmer - N2MG <n2mg@contesting.com> (Mike Gilmer - N2MG)
Date: 20 Nov 2000 09:25:04 -0800
1.  I experienced a curious situation during SS (as did a friend with nearly
the same setup). We are both using TS-940s and NA10.50 on pure DOS machines.  I
have the Kenwood interface for radio control, he the PIEXX...in case any of it
matters.

During pre-contest setup (we were on the phone together) he and I could easily
enter the bandmap with a CTRL-RTARROW and exit it (without grabbing anything)
by hitting the ESC key.  Just now, I installed NA on my work computer and ran
it in a DOS window, and the bandmap works just like this (I tested simply the
CTRL-RTARROW-followed-by-ESC sequence).

However (and I noticed this happene at some point during SS CW as well) that
during the contest, the ESC key became disabled for this function.  Instead, I
discovered (as a true hacker) that only CTRL-LTARROW seemed to allow exiting
the bandmap (short of grabbing a spot and then wiping).

2.  I noticed that if I had a bandmap up (say I was operating on 80meters) and
I changed bands to 40meters (either by hitting the correct button on the TS940
OR by using Band-up/Band-down function keys), the bandmap did not change (it
should go to 40 meters, no?) until I added a bandmap entry (CTRL-ENTER) on the
new band.  Is this normal?

3. It seems a bit cumbersome to have to press so many keys to populate the
bandmap.  I use radio control and there's no need for the dialog box for
frequency to come up every time I hit CTRL-ENTER.  Also, the call remains in
the callsign field after I CTRL-ENTER it into the bandmap.  Seems to me that
the whole reason for doing a CTRL-ENTER is I do NOT want to work the guy just
yet, but am only loading the bandmap.  If I wanted to work the guy, just
logging him stuffs the bandmap.  Therefore I feel that the callsign should be
deleted from the log upon a CTRL-ENTER.  This saves 2 out of the three current
keystrokes.  CT works this way - not that that alone is enough reason.

73 Mike N2MG

http://www.peoplepc.com

WWW:                      http://datom.contesting.com/