[NA-User] USB to serial adapters with NA?

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [NA-User] USB to serial adapters with NA?
From: LaRecolte@yahoo.com (Ed Taylor, G3SQX)
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 15:57:25 +0100
K3MM writes:

"USB to serial adapters with NA?  Has anyone used these with NA for
networking, radio control, etc.?"

They don't work with NA, at least on my computer.  They rely on Windows to
recognize a COM port, and are "invisible" to DOS programs such as NA.

I have such an adapter, manufactured by "Magic Control Technology,"
installed on my laptop.  I use it for packet with a Windows
program.  It is rather temperamental -- it sometimes allocates itself a
suitable virtual COM port, and sometimes doesn't, attempting
to use the same COM port as the modem, which doesn't work.
(If anyone has a solution to this, I'd be pleased to know it!)

73,

Ed, G3SQX