[NA-User] Two-Radio Setup for SSB?

To: <na-user@contesting.com>
Subject: [NA-User] Two-Radio Setup for SSB?
From: k8cc@comcast.net (k8cc)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 22:33:48 -0500
Randy,

My TopTen "DX Doubler" box does the same thing.  I had not dug into the
problem but what you describe is the culprit I suspected.

If you look at the DX Doubler schematic you'll find that the TopTen boys
made a mistake in the design of an otherwise most excellent unit.  When
K1EA originally designed the CW keying standard for logging programs, the
emitter of the NPN keying transistor was connected to pin 1 of the LPT
port.  This pin is normally high at bootup, and has to be asserted low by
the logging program.  In this way, the state of pin 17 can't cause the
radio to be keyed until the program wants it to.  This is important because
it appears that the initial state of pin 17 is random between different
computers.

When N6TR added PTT control to TRLog, he simply duplicated K1EA's keying
circuit for the PTT output, except connected to pin 16.  The same
considerations apply - the initial state of pin 16 at startup appears
random so the emitter of the NPN PTT transistor is tied to pin 1.

The problem with the TopTen DX Doubler is that the emitters of these
transistors are not tied to pin 1, but are tied to ground.  Therefore, when
you start the computer you might get unintended PTT and/or CW keying until
the logging program is started.

There are two ways to fix this:

1. Modify the hardware.  I've not taken my DX Doubler apart to see how hard
this would be.  Unless the PCB pattern is really dense, it should not be
hard to isolate the emitters of the keying and PTT  transistors and tie
them to pin 1.

2. I can make a little utility program which can be called early in the
AUTOEXEC.BAT file to assert the LPT bits into states which are *off*.  This
is probably the easiest route for running DOS, but I don't know how it
would turn out under Windows.

73,

Dave