Re: [NA-User] System Requirements

To: "Dennis Ponsness" <wb0wao@hotmail.com>, na-user@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [NA-User] System Requirements
From: "David A. Pruett" <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:41:23 -0500
Dennis,

I'm assuming (since you sent this note to the NA reflector) that you're going to use NA. If so, then I'm afraid you have some challenges ahead.

Last weekend I and a team from the Mad River Radio Club did CQWW SSB from VE1JF up in Nova Scotia. 'JF favors WriteLog, which none of the team wanted to use, so we took our own computers. What we had was a multi-2 setup with packet spots coming in via a dialup connection using a laptop running K1TTT's WinTelnetX. We ran into many of the same issues you're going to encounter, so it will be a useful example.

In looking at your description, I was initially puzzled why you had separate "WinTelnetX out" and "WinTelnetX in" ports on the two computers. I've deduced that by running under WinXP, you're going to run both NA and WinTelnetX on one computer, then funnel the output from WinTelnetX "out" into the NA network via the "in" connection on the other computer. This is pretty clever.

And it might work fine if you were using Win98 for your operating system. WinXP does not want to let NA (or any other DOS program) hook itself into the operating system as is necessary to run the CW keying. Most people can't get NA to send CW correctly under WinXP, while a few have made it work but have encountered anomalies such as the clock not keeping time.

The other issue is COM ports. This is where we had problems getting a working configuration for VE1JF. The computers we used were very small Acer desktops (which fit nicely into carryon bags), connecting them to monitors already at VE1JF. The computers have two COM ports, but one is apparently dedicated to an internal modem and so can't be used for other things.

At K8CC, these are the computers for the multi-multi 10M position which get their spots over the NA network. Only two COM ports are needed - one for the NA network and the other for radio control. Due to the computer's small size, there are only two expansion slots - one PCI, and the other an ISA/PCI combo. The ISA/PCI slot is filled up with a W9XT Contest Card voice keyer. For use at K8CC, I bought a SiiG single-port PCI COM card which comes with a DOS-compatible configuration program. This works perfectly at K8CC.

However, for VE1JF we needed one machine to have three COM ports for radio control, NA network, and packet spots coming from the WinTelnetX laptop. Our thinking was to replace the single COM card with a dual card. While the availability of such cards is shrinking in an Ethernet world, they ARE still available. I got one from CompUSA and another from SiiG (http://www.siig.com). However, neither would do the job because the design of the cards was such that both COM ports shared the same interrupt line (IRQ). This works fine in a Windows world; it's even advantageous since it minimizes the number of IRQs you have to have available. However, NA's COM drivers are not designed to work that way.

If your computer currently has two COM ports (most likely COM1 and COM2 using IRQs 4 and 3 respectively), the single port PCI COM card will likely work as long as it's DOS compatible. The dual port SiiG card will even work as long as you only use one COM port. (Tip - set NA for IRQ 11).

Again, it get's back to the operating system issue. If you want CW keying, my advice is to step back to Win98. If you're willing to use outboard keyers, NA will run OK under WinXP.

More and more NA users I know are simply avoiding the modern Windows hassle and setting up dedicated logging computers in the shack running DOS or older Windows. For example, these little Acers I mentioned cost $75 used two years ago - 233 MHz Pentiums with 2GB hard drives, CD-ROM & floppy. These handled our ~7800 QSOs from VE1JF flawlessly.

Hopefully, these tips will help.

73,

Dave/K8CC