Re: [CQ-Contest] New Contest Country Files - 23 October 2005

To: "'Jim Reisert AD1C'" <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] New Contest Country Files - 23 October 2005
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 16:30:49 -0000
Now we are apparently really going to be confused.

According to my source who watches this stuff the ua9t/w zone 16 exceptions
were removed in a special version of wl_cty.dat at:
http://www.k1ea.com/cty/wl_cty.dat

And he made the change after having released Version 1505. The wl_cty.dat
that is in CTY-1505.zip had not been updated yet.

So, depending when and from where someone grabs the latest wl_cty.dat, they
may see different results for the same version CTY. So much for the concept
of version control...

UA9S / UA9T / UA9W are all in zone 16.

UA9T referes to the same oblast (Orenburg) as UA9S.  UA9T had always been
missing from the Writelog macros and it should have been added rather than
UA9S & UA9W being deleted.

So now, different loggers will score ua9s/t/w differently, and will score it
in a different zone than will be used by the log checkers.  The problem with
this is that if the log checkers score it in zone 16, but you have it logged
in zone 17 and it is your only zone 17 on a band you will lose the
multiplier.  We had just gotten the n1mmlogger to use the wl_cty.dat
properly for ua9s/w (since t was missing) now its going to be wrong again!
I worry about things like this because zone 17 is not all that easy to work
on certain bands, so if the logger thinks(incorrectly) that we have worked
17 when its really 16 I don't want to have it ignore zone 17 spots or not
flag a multiplier that we really need.  I would have thought that k3est's
quoting of the waz, wac, dxcc, and wae combination that led to these
exceptions would have been the final word on this.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net