Re: [NA-User] NA10.69 problem in IOTA

To: RLVZ@aol.com
Subject: Re: [NA-User] NA10.69 problem in IOTA
From: David Pruett <k8cc@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 14:30:27 -0400
RLVZ@aol.com wrote:
I had problems with NA10.69 in the IOTA contest last week. My main problem is that 10.69 allowed me to enter new Headquarter IOTA locations until I got to about QSO #800. Then when I entered a New IOTA QTH and try to save it my computer totally locks up and I get the nasty error message:
"Error 09 occured in Module NAS10.69 at address  085A:3D9E".
Please advise how I can get 10.69 to take the new Headquarter IOTA locations and score my log properly. An example of my problem is that QSO # 1034 with YV5AJ the proper QTH is RCV but it won't let me enter it. Can anyone help me correct this problem so I can finalize my log and file it? 73,
Dick- K9OM
Dick,

I was able to duplicate your problem here. More importantly, I was able to correct it. And you won't even need a new version of NA to do so :-)

The fundamental issue is that you were a victim of your own success. To explain (and hopefully not bore anybody), NA has to set aside computer memory to track multipliers. In IARU there are 90 ITU zone multipliers, and an unknown number of HQ and "ITU officials" multipliers. NA provides for 50 of these "unknown ahead of time" multipliers, and your log as it stands right now contains 50 of these multipliers (which NA calls "on the fly" because they're added as you operate.

Dick, in the 20+ years NA has been used in IARU, you are the first user that I know of to hit this limit. You are to be congratulated for your success.

Fortunately the number controlling the space set aside for these 50 "extra" mults is built into the Contest Rules Template (.CRT) file. By adjusting this number using the Template Editor program (TE.EXE) we can make space for more extra mults and fix your problem.

I've attached to this e-mail a new IARU.CRT file which now provides for 100 of these "extra" mults. I've tested this both on the K8CC shack computers (which are running MS-DOS 6.22) and my main "big" computer (which is running WinXP with NA in a "compatability box").

If anybody is interested, here's the procedure to adjust the number of "OTF" or "extra" mults:

- Start the Template Editor (TE.EXE) program which comes with NA.
- Load the IARU.CRT template.
- Using the Enter key, move down to the item labeled "Load Mult Data:" in the lower left of the screen. This item is showing "Zones + OTF". - Press the Enter key again and a box labeled "Zone Type" opens with "ITU" highlighted. - Press the Enter key again and a box showing "Save Space for how many mults" appears. Enter the desired value and press Enter. - Start pressing the Esc key multiple times until a box showing "Template Filename: IARU.CRT" appears. Press Enter, then "y".

I would be careful increasing this number any further. I tested the program with space saved for 200 mults, and Dick's file seemed to load fine. However, at some point saving space for more mults takes up memory which NA may need for other things.

Dick, if you need any more help with this just drop me a note, but I think you'll be all set with the new .CRT file.

73, Dave/K8CC