[RFI] Wall "transformers"

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Wall "transformers"
From: kmarch" <kmarch@ix.netcom.com (kmarch)
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 1998 11:34:08 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01BD1E84.D4AF0C40

Some really strong broad band noises have been polluting the low bands =
here.  I finally tracked it down to my neighbor, who has a couple of =
wall transformers powering various lights in his house.  It turns out =
the transformers are generating noise like crazy.  I suspect there are =
SCR devices inside, with no actual transformar at all.  They are rated =
at an output of 12 volts at 60 Watts, which is a lot more current than a =
typically sized wall transformer usually puts out.  Does anyone have any =
ideas or experience on how to cure this type of noise problem (short of =
building an actual fused transformer that handles the load)?  Also, will =
the FCC do anything about this kind of thing if the neighbor does not =
cooperate? Will the manufacture be required to do anything by the FCC?  =
Bob  N7UA

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01BD1E84.D4AF0C40

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Some really strong broad band noises =
have been=20
polluting the low bands here.&nbsp; I finally tracked it down to my =
neighbor,=20
who has a couple of wall transformers powering various lights in his=20
house.&nbsp; It turns out the transformers are generating noise like=20
crazy.&nbsp; I suspect there are SCR devices inside, with no actual =
transformar=20
at all.&nbsp; They are rated at an output of 12 volts at <U>60 =
Watts</U>, which=20
is a lot more current than a typically sized wall transformer usually =
puts=20
out.&nbsp; Does anyone have any ideas or experience on how to cure this =
type of=20
noise problem (short of building an actual fused transformer that =
handles the=20
load)?&nbsp; Also, will the FCC do anything about this kind of thing if =
the=20
neighbor does not cooperate? Will the manufacture be required to do =
anything by=20
the FCC?&nbsp; Bob&nbsp; N7UA</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01BD1E84.D4AF0C40--

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html