[RFI] Electrical noise

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Electrical noise
From: kboswell@aetn.org (Kelly Boswell) (Kelly Boswell)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 20:35:25 -0600

I've recently noticed receiving a strong electrical interference on my HF
station.  It sounds like a constant buzz, S9 or stronger from 500KHz up to at
least 6MHz.  The signal peaks around the lower end of 80m. From there it tapers
off disappearing around 5.077MHz, then begins rising again.  It may go higher.
I've just begun to trace this thing.

I've tried turning off each circuit breaker, one at a time, to see if I could
isolate the problem to any portion of my apartment.  No luck.  I thought
perhaps the air conditioning unit next door was about to die. (It has been
getting loud lately).  But the noise continues regardless of the air
conditioner.  The noise blanker removes it completely!  (Rig is Icom 737.
Wonder type of noise the blanker was optimized for?)

  Suggestions?  Techniques?  Sorry, don't have the portable AM radio to use for
the old faithful foxhunt technique.

While typing this message I've again checked the signal.  At 3700 it is 20db
over S9.!  At 29.9MHz is still S9!

TNX de Kelly,
KA5MGL

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html