[RFI] Tracking the Noise

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Tracking the Noise
From: silver@ax.apc.org (silver@ax.apc.org)
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 16:03:32 -0300
Dear friends,

I have a problem of constant noise in my reception on all bands, it is like
an increase of the static level. The noise looks to be man made and when it
rains the noise disappears. I started to observe that there is a bulding
being constructed very close to my apartment (only 30 ft away from my
antenna). As they needed light to work they installed wires coming from the
power line in order to provide power to the lamps.

My question: how can I track this noise source?....As you know Brazil is an
emerging country and the Power Company notified me that they won´t provide
any kind of help. Any ideas?? I have a portable shortwave
transceiver.....Does it help??

The cqww contest is coming and I need to find out a solution for this mess
that started in june. As an information, my transceiver is an Icom IC-746
and the antenna is a vertical GP for 10, 15 and 20 with a coil. However pay
attention that it started in june....so...my antenna is not the main
problem. Besides the static noise is the following: S9+ on 20 and S9 on 15
and 10.

I need to solve this problem by myself. The Eletricity Agengy and the Power
Co. will not help me at all.

I do need some help guys,

73
Carlos