[RFI] max. e-field & RF exposure!

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] max. e-field & RF exposure!
From: EDWARDS, EDDIE J" <eedwards@oppd.com (EDWARDS, EDDIE J)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 09:56:40 -0600
> the U.S. DOES
> regulate RF field levels, including those from amateur stations, for
> purposes of personnel exposure to RF radiation.  U.S. amateurs are
> currently required to perform an RF safety evaluation on their
> installation
> and take appropriate measures to preclude personnel exposure in excess of
> the levels defined in the FCC rules.
        [KØiL]  Yes Keith, I have to admit that I did not think about this
aspect since it doesn't directly relate to Cedric's RFI/EMI problems.  To
tell the truth, I have not given HF RF exposure very much thought since I
have not seen much (if any?) scientific evidence to support such
regulations.  I've worked around radiation for 10 years exposed to both
ionizing radiation at a nuke plant (5 years) and non-ionizing at microwave &
800Mhz sites (5 years) not to mention HV power lines (15 years).  In reality
I've been exposed my whole lifetime since birth as we all have (to
background exposure).  The highest exposure I've had to radiation to date
has been in the doctor's & dentist's offices.  A chest X-ray is a huge does
and I've had several.

        Personally I think the RF exposure rules are unenforceable, but they
could be used to harass a ham whose neighbor is experiencing RFI if the
neighbor (or his attorney) ever caught wind of it!  That's the main reason
to comply if at all possible.  I have done a review of my station equipment
both at home and at work for this reason.  I've determined that I should not
transmit on the ground mtd vertical with 100watts on 10 & 15 meters.  So
I'll simply "claim" that I never do this whether I do or not (see the
unenforcability here?) since I'm not required to keep a log of any
activities any longer.

        Think about this: If enough people can be made to believe HF, VHF &
UHF RF radiation (non-ionizing) is dangerous, Amateur Radio could be banned
just like Alar was in the 80's.  If you don't think so, I recommend you read
"Science Under Siege" by Michael Fumento.  It's a hard book to find since
people don't always care to read or hear about how "safe" the world is that
we live in!  They'd rather hear how everything is killing us.  (Climbing
down off the soap box now.)

        Tnx to everyone who e-mailed me to point out the RF exposure rules.
Yes, I'm aware of them and I missed them for a reason.  Let's get back to
something real and substantial now, like EMI susceptible devices and how to
destroy, er, I mean cure them of EMI problems. ;^)

        73,
        de ed -KØiL
        k0il@qsl.net

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html