[RFI] What is Part 15

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] What is Part 15
From: kboswell@aetn.org (Kelly Boswell) (Kelly Boswell)
Date: Thu, 06 May 1999 18:57:49 -0500

>Can someone explain to me Part 15 of the FCC Testing Procedure?
>
>My particular question deals with "unintentional radiators" such as
>computers, monitors, touch lamps, horizonal sweep noise from
>televisions.
<snip>

>Has the electronic industry taken the "low" road making cheap products,
<snip>
> to save a buck?

Hi Randy,
     In a word --  Yes.  That is precisely the answer.  If a manufacturer
can avoid putting in twenty-five cents worth of RFI protection/containment
on each of, say a million units sold they have saved $250,000!!!  With
M.B.A.s making engineering decisions, the outcome is often viewed in terms
of the short-term bottom line.  (Unfortunately, the result is "quality be
damned").
Likewise, if their is little or no enforcement of part 15, the
manufacturer is not likely to  be fined for producing and selling such
devices, they have indeed saved $250,000.

I'll step down from my soapbox now and slink back to my closet.  Thanks
for listening.
de Kelly, KA5MGL

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html