[RFI] Re: Common mode

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Re: Common mode
From: pmarkham@newsguy.com (pmarkham@newsguy.com)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 11:12:32 -0500
I made a detailed post to this "reflector"? in late 1997? concerning my use of
tv yolk and flyback transformer cores for common mode chokes. If anyone saved
that post, I would appreciate a copy as it is not in the reflector archives and
my copy was lost with a massive computer crash last  month.

I suspect a large core from a large tv, or maybe several in series, may be a
cure for what ails. The cores are cheap enough (free from junk tvs), and you
can have several on hand for immediate use by winding x feet of the coax of
your choice through the core of your choice and terminating the ends with
pl259s. I have in use many smaller cores on a variety of cables from phone and
computer lines to the largest core around which I have 15 turns of RG8U to
shunt feed my tower.

The core mixtures vary markedly depending on the technology/age of the
tv/monitor. If you are more interested in the effect than the core composition
and its theoretical limitations, don't let my ignorance get in the way... ;-)

Pete/wa4hei

On 20 Nov 99, at 3:56, Blackburn wrote:

> 1. Introduce a high impedance in the RF path, i.e., a common-mode
> choke.  In this case, I don't think this is a realistic approach because
> of the large amount of inductance required to have a significant effect
> at broadcast frequencies.

Eschew obfuscation.

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html