[RFI] Mystery buzz 1.7 to 2.0 MHz

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Mystery buzz 1.7 to 2.0 MHz
From: George K. Watson" <watson@epiloglaser.com (George K. Watson)
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 20:37:20 -0700
Any experiences with this type of noise?  Your thoughts, ideas, etc. please.

The new 12 volt 'artsy' lighting systems can do exactly this. These systems
utilize
high current switchers to convert line to 12V (very high current). The lighting
is strung
using open copper wire (great antennas) throughout the room or house. It is the
current
cutting edge in home lighting and very noisy at RF as the switchers sacrifice a
lot for
switching efficiency and high current capability. We have one in my 'hood which
has
taken N0CD off of 160m and which I can hear even though I am several miles away
from the source. The household involved has been somewhat cooperative, and the
manufacturer has shipped new supplies, but it is not any better. One of the big
problems with these systems is that they generate such high DC currents that
gettting
any significant inductance on the wires is going to take a very large amount of
ferrite material.

George K. Watson
K0IW

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html