[RFI] blowing out phones

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] blowing out phones
From: Palomar Engineers <Palomar@compuserve.com> (Palomar Engineers)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 16:59:39 -0500
I can't imagine enough signal picked up on telephone wiring to "blow out" a
phone. I prefer to think that it is her imagination or that of a salesman
selling her a new phone. -- If your coax runs closer to her house than the
antenna a common-mode choke might help. -- Sometimes ferrite cores will
work when the filters do not. Worth a try. Be sure to filter both telephone
line and power cord (if the phone has one). Use F82-43 toroids or even
F140-43 toroids. -- Cordless phone base units can be treated with ferrites
on phone and power lines. If cordless part itself is overloaded nothing
external will help. -- Grounding of rig is good practice but usually does
not influence RFI one way or the other.  -- Jack, K6NY

WWW:                      http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html