[RFI] Neon signs?

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Neon signs?
From: Hare, Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org (Hare, Ed, W1RFI)
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 12:44:36 -0500

> If the mfrs don't help, determine which ones are the
> offending signs and contact the sign owners and provide
> them with information about FCC Part 15.

To help you understand the applicable Part 15 regulations, see:

http:://www.arrl.org/tis/info/part15.html

See also http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/rfi-elec.html.

> Offer them some info about EMI reduction using ferrites and
> suggest they get an electrician to fix the signs (i.e. install
> ferrites) so that they comply with the law.

Ferrites may help, but it is more likely that a "brute-force" type AC line
filter may be required.  Industrial Communications Engineers sells some
high-power filters.  See:

http://www.arrl.org/cgi-bin/tisfind?patt=Industrial+Communications

> You'll probably need to try and bluff the owners warning that
> the FCC is currently enforcing Part 15 against PG&E (I think it's PG&E)
> and may level fines for inaction.

Yes, it was PG&E, although, after meeting with the Northern California hams
(I attended the meeting by teleconference), all concerned agreed that an
advisory letter would be a good first step. Late last week, I heard from one
of the Vice Presidents of PG&E, who agreed to provide a summary of the
present status of reported cases and to start investigating active cases.  I
expect that over the coming weeks, we will start seeing some improvement.

For a summary of the FCC letter, see:

http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/fcc_utility_letter.html.

For a summary of the PG&E saga (not yet updated with the above info), see
the story in the ARRL Letter at:

http://www.arrl.org/arrlletter/99/1203/

73 from ARRL HQ,
Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Lab
225 Main St
Newington, CT  06111
860-594-0318
w1rfi@arrl.org
Visit the ARRL Website at http://www.arrl.org/. Check out the ARRL
members-only website at http://www.arrl.org/members/.  Have your
ARRL membership number (from your QST mailing label) available the
first time you check in. For answers to many technical questions,
consult the ARRL Technical Information Service page on the ARRL Web
site at http://www.arrl.org/tis.

FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/rfi-faq.html