[RFI] RFI story of the day

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI story of the day
From: Hare, Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org (Hare, Ed, W1RFI)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 12:33:10 -0400
I may have the RFI story of the century (last century, that is). :-)

One day, I was called to the ARRL lobby.  I met a woman there who introduced
herself as the neighbor of a ham.  She was very unhappy with the RFI the ham
was "causing" to her telephone, stereo and cable TV.

I started at the beginning, explaining the rules, the basic causes and
cures, but she stopped me rather cold just as I got to fundamental overload.
She KNEW all that; she was looking for someone to make the ham stop causing
her interference.

To little avail, I tried to explain why the rules are what they are, what I
felt the FCC would have to say, etc.  She had already contacted the FCC and
was not at all pleased with what the FCC had to say, and again told me she
was turning to ARRL "as a last resort" to find someone to make him stop.

Finally, in almost desperation, I asked her where she lived.  It turned out
she was in South Windsor, CT, a location about 15 miles from ARRL HQ.  I
decided to put a speedy end to the the problem and offered to her that I
would be happy to come to her house and cure all of the RFI problems for her
(holding up the ARRL RFI Book and telling her that I wrote the book on the
subject), but that she and her neighbor would have to be willing to work
together to help me do it.

She gave me a very disappointed look, turned her back and started walking
out of the ARRL lobby. Her parting words, shouted over her shoulder, were,
"Well, it looks like I am wasting my time here."

True story.

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Laboratory Supervisor