[RFI] 2.4 GHz Phones

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] 2.4 GHz Phones
From: Hare, Ed, W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org (Hare, Ed, W1RFI)
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 16:47:22 -0400

> The 31 V/M field for 2Kw PEP 33 feet away seems a bit
> large to me (high by 20 dB or so - what was the antenna gain assumption?).

By my calculations, 2kW 10 meters away should result in an RMS field of 24.5
V/m, assuming 0 dBi antenna gain. This would be 34.7 V/m peak voltage field.

At the typical angles between antennas and areas where susceptible equipment
may be found, the gain is usually less than 0 dBi.  For vertical antennas,
considering real ground losses, about 0 dBi might work.  Some beams and
configurations may give higher gain if the beam is low, next to an apartment
building, etc.  In that case, 8-12 dBi might be more realistic.

Remember, that figure was for 10 meters distance, pretty close for 2 kW.
Most of the "RF safety" calculations include duty factor, on/off times, etc.
These factors don't apply to RFI; the equipment usually corresponds to the
peak field.

> Yes, It really would be nice if the FCC requirements
> also specified immunity to EMI fields of 3 V/M or so
> from 500 KHz on up.  The vast majority of the Ham's
> EMI complaints would never happen if they did.

The present ANSI standards of immunity for consumer electronics equipment
calls for a radiated immunity level of 3 V/m.  More and more equipment has
been being made to this standard and I think there is some reduction in RFI
to consumer equipment as a result.  But 3 V/m translates to 100 W to a
dipole 100 feet from the source, nowhere NEAR enough to really offer good
protection from amateur radio.

I once believed that ham radio needed this protection.  I have changed my
mind.  In Europe, the EU requirements call for such immunity, at around 3
V/m.  In Germany, however, the regulators noticed the imbalance -- on one
hand there are regulations about immunity but on the other hand, hams are
allowed up to 200 V/m (depending on frequency).  That has changed. German
hams must now be able to demonstrate that their stations don't exceed 3 V/m
in their neighbors' homes.  Remember the 100 W and the dipole 100 feet from
the source.  There is some distinct advantage to "voluntary immunity."

The real unfortunate part is that many consumer manufacturers do NOT have an
appropriate response to calls about RFI involving their products.  There has
been SOME progress in that area, see:
 http://204.245.190.45/tech_ed_and_training/resources/67-12005.cfm

but that is more than offset by the number of times the customer-service
agents at a manufacturer's 800 number, or the service technician, says "the
ham must be using illegal power; call the FCC."

There is still a LOT of work to do in that area.  I wish I could clone me.
:-)

73,
Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Laboratory Supervisor