[RFI] Power supply interference

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Power supply interference
From: Gary K9GS" <GaryK9GS@wi.rr.com (Gary K9GS)
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 22:46:10 -0600
Hi Mark,

I think what you have here is a switching power supply.  I have found that
the most often overlooked source of interference is caused by the switching
supply radiating switching transients back down the AC line.

The first thing I would try is to plug the supply into a different breaker
box branch and see if that makes a difference.

The next step is to install an AC line filter like those made by CorCom.
These are frequently seen at hamfests.  Just be sure to get one with
adequate ratings for your monitor.  Take a look at www.corcom.com

You might also see if you could locate a non-switching supply to run your
monitor, i.e. a linear supply.

73,
 Gary

  K9GS
  Gary Schwartz           e-mail: k9gs@arrl.net

  Society of Midwest Contesters (SMC)     GMDXA