[RFI] Touch Lighting Problem

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Touch Lighting Problem
From: Jon Ogden <jono@enteract.com> (Jon Ogden)
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 08:58:04 -0500
on 6/2/01 7:03 AM, Ed - K0iL at k0il@arrl.net wrote:

> Jon, Were you getting into the lights on all bands?  Or just the high HF
> bands?

I noticed it first on 20m.

> The RFI book suggests using #75 material for low HF and #43 material for
> upper HF bands and VHF.  Other info says 43 has optimum attenuation from 14
> MHz to 450 Mhz with a peak near 200Mhz.  While it says J or 77 is close to
> 75 with its peak attenuation near 6Mhz making it good for MF & Low HF
> attenuation.  73 mtl attenuation seems to peak a little higher than 75 or
> 77/-J near 25 MHz so that might be the best to use for 10 meter problems.

You're right, Ed.  I think it's 73 material.  It was whatever Amidon
recommended.

>> One small torroid has about 15 turns of the touch sensor wire wrapped
> around
>> it.
>
> RFI book also suggest placing a 4K-ohm resistor and a 10-microH inductor in
> series with the "sensing" line.  I've also seen some recommendations for 3
> to 4 millihenrys for the choke so try both if you can and let us know what
> works!

I'll try it!  Thanks!

> Thank goodness they don't generate the packets of HF noise usually created
> by the free running oscillator.  You'd never work any DX!

Heh, yes.  I haven't noticed any increased HF noise.  These are pretty well
made.

BTW, my installer this morning told me that problems like this with touch
lights are common depending on what sort of devices people have in their
homes.

73,

Jon
NA9D