[RFI] 2001 Ford e-150 van fuel pump noise

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] 2001 Ford e-150 van fuel pump noise
From: bob.morrow@tibpriors.org (Bob Morrow)
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 16:50:16 -0600
I have a 2001 Ford e-150 full-size cargo van that has major (S7) fuel pump
noise.  (The Econoline vans are the same kind.)  It makes HF completely
useless on my Icom 706/2g.  I know it's fuel pump noise, when the ignition
is "on" the pump runs for a short while until pressure builds up, then the
noise goes away when it stops.

Ford has some kind of TSB out for it (Another ham told me it is TSB
99-12-9.  That is not it, according to the dealer). Two parts are used,
f1pz*18b925*a and f5az*14a099*aa. They may make a difference on the OEM
radio, but they made absolutely no difference on the ham radio.  The parts
have something to do with the fuel pump, so installing them requires
removing the gas tank since the pump is inside the tank.  I guess the good
thing is it was installed under warranty; the van has 11,500 miles on it.

When I disconnected the antenna, the noise went away, so it is being
radiated. <sigh>

I have capacitors across + and - on the battery, and from + to the frame.

Does anyone here have any ideas - have you come across this on a late-model
Ford truck?

---
Bob N7PTM
"Number 7 Pegs The Meter"