[RFI] 2001 Ford fuel pump noise

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] 2001 Ford fuel pump noise
From: bob.morrow@tibpriors.org (Bob Morrow)
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2001 22:38:22 -0600
At 05:42 PM 08/25/01 Saturday, Cortland Richmond wrote:
>Bob,
>
>I drove a Taurus for a few years, and had fuel pump noise too. But the
>blankers
>on my rigs DID cut it out. Are you sure it's getting in via the antenna?
>Sounds
>as if it might be in your audio stages, which would point towards DC power
>noise. Oh, one thing I did have to do was ground the exhaust pipe to the
>frame;
>it was conducting noise towards the antenna feedpoint (frame mounted antenna).
>I used both a 735 and a 706 and a 290H in the Taurus with no great problems
>thereafter.

The noise is coming down the antenna; disconnecting it removed the
noise.  I didn't ground the exhaust pipe though.  The NB on the 706 is
pretty good, but it can't overcome S7 noise.  I doubt even my ClearSpeech
unit could.

I haven't completely removed the Icom yet, all I did was remove the antenna
& tuner, which are easily re-installed. The antenna was mounted on the
steel bumper one foot from where the exhaust pipe came out.

I didn't have this problem in a 2000 Windstar with the same radio; but I
did have -digital- noise on most of 80m in that van.

---
Bob N7PTM
"Number 7 Pegs The Meter"
My Icom 706 page: http://www.tibpriors.org/ham/icom.htm