[RFI] Filtered connectors for video noise

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Filtered connectors for video noise
From: blackburn@qnet.com (Keith Blackburn)
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 20:00:49 -0700
Pete,

Don't have any direct experience with filter pin connectors on video cards, but
have used them on other systems and do have a couple observations:

First, I'd suspect that the noise source is inside the monitor, not the video
card.  The fact that you're seeing it near electrical wiring is a pretty good
indication that the dominant emissions mode is conducted emissions on the power
line rather than radiated.  Since you don't get a lot of other noise from the
computer I'd be very suspicious of the monitor itself.  Keep in mind that the
video drive (& possibly sweep depending on what the monitor does when not
connected) waveforms are directly related to the video waveform, & CRT drivers
handle a LOT more power than the drivers in a video card.

The big problem with using a filter pin connector in a application like this is
degredation of the video waveform.  For example, an SVGA monitor running 600 x
800 resolution at 72 hz non-interlaced has a dot rate of about 34 MHz, which is
actually higher than the frequencies you're concerned with.  If you look at the
fourier spectrum of a 34 MBPS digital signal, you'll see that the spectrum is
essentially continuous until you resolve down to the lowest individual
frequency component, in this case probably the 72 Hz refresh rate.  Even a
tight CW filter won't resolve spectral components 72 Hz apart, hence the
appearance of broadband noise.

Anyway, if you try to filter the video signal directly with a low-pass filter
(which is what filter pin connectors generally are), any cutoff frequency that
suppresses components in the HF range will obviously have a serious impact on
the video waveform.  Rule of thumb for digital signals is that filter cutoff
should be 3 to 5 times the bit rate.  Even though the video waveforms are sort
of analog, you'd still need filter cutoffs several times the dot rate to avoid
fuzzing the edges of individual pixel elements on the display

Again, based on your description of signals on the electrical wiring, it might
be worthwhile to attack the montior (and maybe computer) power line itself.
I've seen lots of instances in my career where signals not related to power
supply switching circuits coupled onto the power lines.  A large filter or
common-mode choke (remember to use enough cores/inductance to have a
significant impedance at HF) on either the monitor (most likely) or the
computer (less likely) power cord(s) may have the desired effect.

Let me know what happens.

Keith
KB6B