[RFI] Cable Modem Interference

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Cable Modem Interference
From: dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com (dgsvetan@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 08:14:45 -0600
Phil,

Yes, meeting FCC specs still leaves a considerable emissions spectrum when
talking sensitive receivers.

A couple of checks might be worthwile.  For one, disconnect the antenna
from your receiver.  If you still have the "junk" from the modem, then you
know it is getting into the radio either by direct radiation (modem cabinet
and/or cables to radio cabinet/non-antenna cables) or by power line
conduction.  If the noise stops when the antenna is disconnected from the
radio, then you need to determine how the antenna is "seeing" the modem;
very likely, it is picking up signal from cables and/or the power lines
(which themselves can be excellent antennas, especially in the 1 to 10 MHz
region).  Relocating the modem, extensive use of beads on cables, tight
bundling of cables, etc., all become possible cures.

If the radio still gets noise with the antenna removed, then you need to
much of the same sort of thing to determine the coupling mechanism.  (Be
certain to disconnect auxilliary cables, one at a time, that go to/from the
radio, as you might have one that suffers more pick-up than the other
ones.)  Consider the possibility that the modem may have to reside in
another, more distant, part of the house.  Good luck.

73, Dale
WA9ENA

Phil Duff <na4m@arrl.net>@contesting.com on 11/28/2001 06:02:03 PM

Sent by:  rfi-admin@contesting.com