[RFI] DC to DC adapter noise

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] DC to DC adapter noise
From: n5tu@wt.net (Earl Morse)
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 20:17:04 -0600
--------------09DAC079758321624D3397DF

Jim,

In my experience, (I do EMC for a living), the DC to DC adapters are
even worse than the AC power cubes.  One of the reasons is because they
do not have to be tested for conducted emissions that they put back on
to the power mains.  No AC power mains no testing needed.  We do however
test them for radiated emissions and they always are bad in the 30-100
MHz range where radiated emissions are measured.

My employer will have a new 12 to 18.5 VDC, 65 Watt adapter out in the
next  quarter that will be very quiet.  I will update when I have a
model number and post it to the group.

BTW, the adapters that use 12 VDC to generate 120 AC are an even worse
solution because they generate just as much noise in addition to the
noise from the standard AC cube.

Earl
N5TU