[RFI] computer RFI

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] computer RFI
From: wa2bpe@exotrope.net (WA2BPE)
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 17:38:57 -0500
Good luck on a real can of worms with the many places EMI can leak out of
computers.  You, however, are starting right.  PC Power & Cooling offer good
cases/supplies.  Also, if any supply doesn't have one, modifying with a
"Corcom"-type line filter will be essential.  Be sure to clean all edges of
paint, etc; if it isn't RF tight, it will leak (I both get a kick and shiver
at the cases with plastic "windows" now available).  You will also need
ferrites on almost everything attached and may still not eliminate all
noise.  Monitors are especially nasty; some are great; others yuch!  BTW, my
concern for 'puter noise is on 6m - yes, it can be bad even up there!!
Check various publications (ARRL, RSGB) and this forum's archives.

73,  Tom - WA2BPE