[RFI] Could DSL or cable TV leakage be mistaken for power line noise?

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Could DSL or cable TV leakage be mistaken for power line noise?
From: wsanders@wsanders.net (Wiley Sanders)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 16:06:09 -0800
Hello all,

I am pretty much off the air these days on 20 through 10 because of
interference from what I have assumed up til now is power line noise. It is S5
to S9 24 hrs a day; generally stronger during the day and worst on hot days.
Since a recent windy day, it's come back again S7 in spite of the now-cool
weather. I've tried tracking it down with my mobile 10m rig - it's equally
intense everywhere within about 1/2 mile radius of my house, wherever there
are power lines. Surprisingly, the noise is not present on 80 or 40.

My ANC-4 is useless against this noise since the noise comes from everywhere
at once.

There is an MP3 format recording I made on the web at
http://www.wsanders.net/10m-cont.mp3

PG&E has been out to the house once but they have neither the resources,
know-how, or interest to track this down.

The sound is awfully like power line noise, but by chance could I be hearing
cable TV or DSL line leakage? Would cable TV have a 60/120/harmonics sound to
it, or would it sound more like a video buzzsaw or garbled FM station?

Thanks to all on the list.

-Wiley KF6IIU