[RFI] computer rfi report

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] computer rfi report
From: wa4tukhr@comcast.net (Patrick A. Thompson Sr.)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 22:04:15 -0500
Thank you for the report and congratulations!

How did you know that this supply had adequate filtering before you bought
it?

My next step to cure computer RFI from my power supply would have been to
purchase a name brand supply,  perhaps PC Power and Cooling. The supply in
my Athlon 1300 MHz was branded suitable for "office and home use" but
internally had places on the PC board for filters but only empty space and
wire jumpers. A PC Power and Cooling power supply would have cost (from
memory) about $65. Their site lets you choose the environment the supply
will be used in such as "home" or "industrial".

What I did was to buy a Corcom filter off of Ebay ($5) and run a shielded
pair from the power supply case to the filter and shielded pair back into
the power supply AC input all inside the PC box.

Noise is almost gone.

I would like to avoid this problem with my next PC.

Pat
wa4tuk