[RFI] Followup - RE: RF resistant TV, DVD, & Surround Sound ?

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Followup - RE: RF resistant TV, DVD, & Surround Sound ?
From: w7ti@dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 17:46:02 -0800
On Sat, 21 Dec 2002 18:33:04 -0500, Bert Rollen - K4AR wrote:

>The effects varied widely in the stores. Some TV's were effected from about
>10', while their neighbors showed no symptoms.

I question the usefulness of this in a real-life situation.  In
your in-store experiment, the amount of RF energy picked up by
each TV is highly dependent on the feedline it is connected to
and the proximity of your HT to any distribution amplifiers or
other system components.  I used to do TV service for a lot of
the major TV dealers in the Los Angeles area, and I can assure
you their signal distribution systems leave a LOT to be desired.
The phrase "minimum bid" comes to mind.  :-)

It's quite likely that the TV with the most reaction in the store
may simply have the worst cable feeding it.  The basic idea of
your test is good, but there are too many variables in the way
you conducted it.

73, Bill W7TI