[RFI] RFI from 95 Saturn wagon Fuel Pump

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RFI from 95 Saturn wagon Fuel Pump
From: n5qg at airmail.net (n5qg)
Date: Tue Jan 28 19:09:04 2003
Mark Fletcher, N5QG

I need suggestions on how to eliminate RFI from Saturn fuel pump.  I just
completed installation of Yaesu FT-100 D into the Saturn with all wiring laid
out in the car away from a car harness wiring.  Antenna is ATAS-100 mounted on
steel brace attached to rear bumper mount/body frame. I have good ground with
the radio and antenna.  Radio is attached to auxiliary power terminal and
negative terminal contact at the body.

Radio is quite and when the key ignition switch turned to on position, without
starting the car, radio goes to S7, 14 MHz, until fuel line is pressurized and
fuel pump quits, radio returns to lower signal strength.  !4 MHz is the worst
band and lower bands are quitter then 14 MHz. Radio is S7 with car running,
Fuel Pump noise!!  Noise does not change with acceleration and radio Noise
Blanker little help.
Saturn service department states there are no service bulletins on fuel pump
nor does Saturn manufacture any fuel pump filters for RFI.  Has any body
addressed this issue and if so how did you correct it?  I need to know if
ferrite beads (what kind) and type of capacitors that will work to quite down
this radio so I can hear other stations?

Look forward to your suggestions,
Mark,