[RFI] Speedstream Modem

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Speedstream Modem
From: n4zr at contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Mon Mar 10 15:52:31 2003
At 12:46 PM 3/10/03 -0800, Cortland Richmond wrote:
>Check your Ethernet wiring. This is very often susceptible to RF. Make sure
>the cable shields are well connected or bypassed to the chassis (some
>interfaces don't allow direct connection). Where is the RF going, and what
>is it doing?  If you know that, you'll probably be 90 percent of the way to
>fixing the problem.
>
>Doesn't surprise me ferrites fail to help; you'd need really
>high-permeability ferrites at 80 and 40 meters.

I think I'd also be principally suspicious of my house wiring, assuming
your Ethernet cables are CAT 5.  You might try temporarily powering the
modem from batteries, or putting an AC line filter between the power supply
wall-wart and the wall, and see if that helps.  When my antennas are
pointed at my house, I have manifestations on the cable TV system and my
wife's computer speakers, but nothing on the Ethernet or cable internet
connection.

Cort's right, too -- not just any ferrite will work here.

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database was updated 23 Feb 03.
Are you current? www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm