[RFI] Streetlight RFI

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Streetlight RFI
From: richard at karlquist.com (Richard Karlquist)
Date: Mon Jun 2 11:08:31 2003
I have a streetlight that generates RFI during the
day when it is off.  At night, it seems to be OK.
The RFI appears to be harmonics of a switching
power supply at 200 kHz or so.  I had the power
company replace the whole light, but that just
changed the frequency somewhat, and it was still
putting out quite a racket.  The RFI is conducted
on the primary (240V) feed.  The fixture is a
Thomas & Betts luminaire, I am still trying to
get an exact model number.  One unusual thing is
that the light is on a wooden pole.  Most street
lights are on metal standards which are hollow
and allow the wiring to run inside and then underground.
Perhaps this is why there aren't more RFI problems
with these things.  I am wondering if the manufacturer
has an RFI kit they can provide.  The utility is
trying to be helpful, but I think I need to hand
them a fix to implement.  Any info would be appreciated.

Rick Karlquist N6RK