[RFI] stealth RFI

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] stealth RFI
From: eedwards at oppd.com (EDWARDS, EDDIE J)
Date: Tue Jun 17 09:01:03 2003
A couple of other things that may help.

A good site for grounding information is www.polyphaser.com which has
several tutorials about grounding and lightning protection if that's an
issue in your location.

Some basic grounding/bonding rules:

-- Never use braided cables for grounding (especially outdoors!) since
corrosion will eventually create thousands of P-N junctions and possibly
cause noise problems and external rectification creating more RFI/EMI
problems.  It may be OK to use at the operating position/desk in a
controlled environment (constant temperature, low humidity), but even
there they should be replaced every few years before corrosion becomes a
problem.  Unless you move equipment around a lot, I'd stick with either
copper strap or solid as first choice same as outdoors.  Less future
maintenance!

--  More ground rods offer a better ground, but placing them to close
can be a waste of copper and money.  8-ft rods can be placed 12-16 ft
apart and still offer lightning protection as well as additional RF and
safety grounding.  You need to think in 3-dimensions to picture the
influence surrounding a ground rod.

-- As Rob stated, do not allow any sharp turns or bends in grounding
cables/wires.  Always use 8-inch radius bends.  Create a cutout out of
cardboard to use as a guide.

-- Use of a Low Pass Filter is Mandatory at all times especially when
running amps.  It's good engineering practice which is required by FCC
regs!

Good luck!

73, de ed -K0iL