[RFI] Advice for dealing with RFI

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Advice for dealing with RFI
From: wrt at dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Tue Jul 15 20:33:53 2003
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:35:35 -0700 (PDT), "N6KJ"
<kelly@thejohnsons.ws> wrote:

>I have tracked the primary source of RF noise in my neighborhood to
>a Dry Cleaner about 100 yards down the street.  I suspect the problem is
>caused by their Neon Signs, but I haven't verified that yet.
>
>Fortunately, they always (or at least almost always) turn them off when they
>close at 6:00PM each night.  This means the only time it really affects me
>is during the day on Sat.  The owners do not live in the neighborhood and
>have never been particularly friendly.  I'm not sure how they will respond
>if I approach them about fixing the problem.
>
>My fear is that if I tick them off, they may leave the lights on 24hrs/day
>which would be a complete disaster (we're talking about S5 noise on 20m
>and more on 40/80).
>
>I'd like to offer to fix the problem, but I don't want to run the risk of
>ticking them off and winding up with a far worse problem.
>
>Any advice out there?  Has anyone dealt with this before?

I had the same problem with a hamburger joint when I lived in Seattle.
This kind of interference is illegal, period, and the local FCC
Engineer will be glad to talk to them if needed and order them to fix
it.

I would approach the owner first of course, and offer to contact the
sign maker if necessary and work with them to cure the problem.  I'd
suggest you take a portable AM radio with you so you can demonstrate
to the owner.  Have him switch off the sign momentarily and hear the
interference stop.  But make it PERFECTLY CLEAR that the interference
must be eliminated and you will accept nothing less.  Be reasonable -
give him time to work with the sign maker, but let him know you mean
business.

--
73, Bill W7TI