[RFI] Re: RFI Digest, Vol 8, Issue 5

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Re: RFI Digest, Vol 8, Issue 5
From: kj9c at iquest.net (Mel Crichton)
Date: Mon Aug 11 16:07:12 2003
Bert

I just went thru the new car buying ordeal... 2002 Toyota 4 Runner

Took a hand held shortwave radio and with collapsed antenna to "sniff out"
the noise sources on each car I test drove, then narrowed down to 3 brands
and took Icom 706 with 40 meter whip

Not sure how the Toyota direct ignition fares, but my 2002 Toyota V6 has
three coils (1 per 2 cylinders) and therefore three long plug wires.... lots
of RFI from the wires and coil but can be greatly reduced with shield

The fuel pump is, on the  other hand, VERY noisy and not easily solved

And HVAC fan is noisy high speed but OK low speed

Mel KJ9C