RE: [RFI]electric fence qrn

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [RFI]electric fence qrn
From: "Cortland Richmond" <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2003 10:31:11 -0800
How about using an electric fence charger to GENERATE interference (for
test purposes)?

(excerpt)
"RFI Source

Caution! The following test should be performed with care in your shop or
venue department.

Sometimes RFI problems are intermittent. A useful tool is a broadband RFI
source that can be used to "infect? a component with RFI. Sound expensive?
Not really. The author uses an electric fence charger for this purpose.

These are available from any farm supply store, and are priced from $50 to
$75. A fence charger is a high-voltage/low-current source for powering
electric fences. This simple box has an AC cord and two terminals - one is
?hot? and the other is ground. Take two pieces of 12 gauge solid copper
wire (Romex works well) and connect them to each terminal. ..."

 http://www.prosoundweb.com/install/synaudcon/tt25_2_p2.shtml

If I recall correctly, "test equipment" is still exempt from Part 15
(grin).  A former employer used a Tesla Coil for immunity testing its
consumer equipment lines.

Cortland