Re: [RFI] Can you identify this noise?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Can you identify this noise?
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 15:10:52 -0500
At 12:12 PM 1/11/04 -0600, K4RO wrote:

I have a new noise in the neighborhood which appeared
about a month ago.  It caused a real problem during the
recent ARRL Ten Meter Contest.  The noise is present from
about 27.8 to 28.1 MHz, and it pretty well wipes out 10m CW.

The noise seems to be there most of the time, although I
have noticed some random periods when it is not present.
You can listen to a sound clip at the link below.  I would
appreciate any ideas on what the source might be.

I'd look for a defective thermostat on something -- maybe a pool heater, or the infamous heated dog dish.

Are you sure it isn't also audible on lower frequencies?

By the way, Kirk, your isp refused my contesting.com domain.

73, Pete N4ZR Check out the World HF Contest Station Database Updated 9 Jan 04 www.pvrc.org/wcsd/wcsdsearch.htm