[RFI] switching p.s. (battery charger)

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] switching p.s. (battery charger)
From: David O Hachadorian <k6ll@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 08:58:29 -0700
A neighbor, about 100 yards away from my antennas, bought
his kids an electric scooter for Christmas. The scooter
is a deluxe model, with a 24 or 36 vdc system.

The battery charger generates loud rf noise from 2 to 30
MHz. The noise is s9+ over the entire hf spectrum, and
peaks every 55 Khz, but is never less than s5, even in
the space between the peaks.

I plan to approach the neighbor within the next few
days, and offer him a line filter to try out. If that
doesn't work, I plan to offer to work with the
manufacturer to get him a better battery charger, and
to pay for it myself if there's any expense involved.

I'm not sure how receptive he is going to be to these offers.
Is there any legal recourse, through the FCC or otherwise,
in a situation like this? This battery charger is a huge RF
generator.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ