[RFI] re: BPL in Canada

To: RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] re: BPL in Canada
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 16:40:58 +0000 (GMT)
My latest reply to PUC follows. I have also spoken at
length to Industry Canada in SSM about the trial and
am confident that they are taking a balanced and
professional view of the matter. Finally, and most
importantly, RAC (Radio Amateurs of Canada) are very
involved with the process and are conducting a
continuing dialogue with IC.

73 Roger
VE3ZI

>Thanks for that information, Martin.

Part 15 is a US specification covering unintentional
radiators having a point source origin. The applicable
Canadian standard is ICES-006, and I believe that your
trials are being conducted under the special
permission provisions of that standard. ICES-006 will
ultimately be re-written to specifically cover BPL
should that become necessary.

Amperion equipment does seem to have some advantages
over its competition, and the company seems more aware
than others of the potential for interference with
other spectrum users. Nevertheless, independent tests
on an Amperion trial BPL system in North Carolina have
shown transmissions to be detectable at distances of
over 100m from the power line with severe interference
at closer distances. This seems inevitable from the
physics of the technology. Power lines are imperfect
transmission lines at HF and therefore must radiate.
The transmitter power required to make the system work
must be sufficient to overcome power line fault
conditions such as arcs which can and do cause
widespread disruption to radio reception.

I know that Industry Canada are closely monitoring
your trials, and I am confident that they will reach
accurate and unbiased conclusions. The downtown core
of Sault Ste Marie is a high noise environment, and I
feel that you will probably not receive complaints in
that area. That is less likely to be the case in
suburban or rural areas.

Regards
Roger Parsons

CR Consulting