[RFI] Help with broadcast interference

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] Help with broadcast interference
From: "William Liporace - NA2NA" <na2na@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:01:56 -0500
Hi Folks,
Here is my problem. I was sent here for ideas.  I have three loud broadcast
stations with in close proximity. The weakest is 810 and the strongest is
1540. The problem is that 1540 is the also the closest to me. For some who
know what this means (I do not), here are the readings that I got:
In the basement shack:
810    100 microvolt/meter
980    100 microvolt/meter
1540    350 microvolt/meter
At the tower (with in a foot)
810    1 volt/meter
980    1.3 volts/meter
1540    10+volts/meter
The first thing that was mentioned while taking this reading was: "Wow you
have a high noise level". I am looking for a way to knock down some of the
noise and make 80 and 160 more usable. I have been told that 160 may be out
or nearly out! I was told that it may be possible to create a very very
sharp filters to notch out some of the noise. I do understand there will be
losses and problems. Currently high power is not in the picture, but gee,
that would be nice.
According to the people at I.C.E., they said good luck and did not even want
to chat about the issue. I am looking for help and or suggestions for
filters. I do not want to damage my FT-1000 (or any other radio) again.
Anybody have any suggestions or ideas? If you would prefer to keep this off
line, no problem! Hey, all I want to do is chase DX and be semi competitive
in the little pistol category!

73 ex TNX Will NA2NA
na2na.net an AR-Cluster Node