RE: [RFI] BPL Reality

To: "Jim Miller" <JimMiller@STL-Online.Net>, rfi@contesting.com,"BPLandHamRadio" <BPLandHamRadio@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [RFI] BPL Reality
From: "Cortland Richmond" <ka5s@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:25:05 -0800
Here's a thought for the lists to chew on.

The FCC proposal does not comply with the Geneva Radio Regulations.  The
RR's (and due to treaty obligations the FCC ) define harmful interference
as "Interference which endangers the functioning of a radionavigation
service or of other safety services **or seriously degrades, obstructs, or
repeatedly interrupts a  radiocommunication service operating in accordance
with these [international] Radio Regulations**" (From Part 2., and emphasis
added)

BPL will not degrade, obstruct or interrupt our ability to SEND. Therefore,
Part 15 entities may not be required to avoid frequencies on which we are
transmitting. It prevents reception of those signals >>somewhere else<<. A
BPL provider, however, is most certainly responsible uder Part 15 not to
generate harmful interfernce to reception of radio signals from a "
radiocommunication service operating in accordance with these
[international] Radio Regulations.".  Therefore, the remedy must be applied
not where a transmitter is, but by a BPL provider (if any) at the -- ANY
place -- place where its signal is received, and where our
radiocommunication service may indeed be degraded, obstructed, or
repeatedly interrupted.

Moreover, a BPL provider must protect not only signals originating from
within the United Staes, but signals from stations he doesnt even know
exist.

How to fix -- accomplish and pay for fixing -- this is an exercise left to
the reader.

It seems clear to me that the Regulations and the FCC Rules do not condone
interfering simply because whoever is doing it doesn't know what frequencey
to avoid.   I will be mentioning this in my Comment.

Cortland

change frequencies to avoid that ham's problem, BUT what about mobile
operation?  We will continually run through areas of interference.