Re: [RFI] TVI on home cinema audio

To: "Franki @ ON5ZO.be" <franki@on5zo.be>
Subject: Re: [RFI] TVI on home cinema audio
From: John DeGood <jdegood@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:05:11 -0500
I had an audio RFI problem with my attic HF antenna at 100 W and an Aiwa A/V receiver I purchased for my home. My audio interference was deafening and independent of volume setting, which suggested the audio output chain in my case. After much trial and error I was able to finally eliminate the interference with 3 "clamp-on" cores located close to the A/V receiver on the 2 surround speaker cables and the AC power cable. It required the maximum number of turns physically possible on each of the cores to completely silence the RFI. The cores applied to either the surround speaker cables or the power cable attenuated my problem, but only together were they able to eliminate it.

RFI can enter on any number of paths, but since according to your description your friend's problem is a function of volume setting and occurs even with all inputs disconnected, I'd focus his attention first on the AC power cable. If that doesn't work then attack the power cable and speaker cables together.

73, John NU3E

Franki @ ON5ZO.be wrote:

Dear RFI subscribers

I am writing this posting on behalf of a friend of mine, who is trying to solve
nasty RFI problem. He has never had problems before with this setup (HF beam +
kW),
until recently, when his neighbour bought a 'home cinema 5.1' setup, and now
there is
a problem. The interference only occurs on bands above 20m (so 18MHz and up),
only
with a kW (no problem when running the rig barefoot), and only if the beam
points
straight to the neighbour's house (all other bearings don't cause trouble).

The problem is only heard in the audio chain (speakers), the video part
(TV+DVD) does
not suffer from the TVI. When doing some 'field tests', they isolated the
system by
unhooking the TV cable distribution and all amplifier (surround decoder) inputs.
Still there was the noise coming through the speakers. Ferrite cable clamps or
rods
did not help. Other solutions, like putting decoupling capacitors accross the
speakers, are hard to use right now, because the owner does not want his
equipment
being 'tampered' with, as this will void the manufacturer's warranty. The
speaker
cable is soldered inside the speaker's cabinet, amplifier outputs are mono
jacks.
It seems that the level of the TVI-noise goes up and down with the volume
setting of
the amplifier. Could it be that the root of the problem is the
amplifier/surround
decoder?

Anyone has a clue or idea on how to deal with this problem? All input greatly
appreciated.
73 / TNX.

- ON5ZO