[RFI] BPL and the BBC

To: RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] BPL and the BBC
From: Roger Parsons <ve3zi@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 16:48:45 +0000 (GMT)
In Dave Sumner's letter to the WSJ he references a
paper written by the BBC's Reseach Department. This
covers a short evaluation of interference to HF
broadcast reception at a BPL trial site in Scotland. I
strongly recommend that you all read it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/pubs/whp/whp067.html

Short wave broadcasting is an ITU protected service
and yet it was quite clear that the (2) particular BPL
systems on trial prevented reception of broadcast
stations having signal strengths which exceeded the
minimum protected level.

It is easy to assume (as I did) that because
broadcasters use high power transmitters and high gain
antennas that they would be relatively unaffected by
BPL. However, the report makes it clear that many (or
most) listeners use radios with built in or indoor
antennas, which would then be very close to any
in-house BPL affected cabling, and are therefore
probably even more susceptible to BPL interference
than the average amateur with an outside antenna. I
know that some BPL systems do not use the last bit of
cabling into the house, but on the other hand some do.

I feel that the ARRL is making a valiant effort on our
behalf, and I am particularly impressed by their
general playing down of the amateur aspect. The BBC is
probably the most respected short wave broadcaster in
the world - surely their input to the debate must be
considered seriously by the FCC, IC, and the RA. Or
maybe not....

73 Roger
VE3ZI